Regular readers will know that I suffered a puncture while on the London to Cambridge ride. You will also know that I purchased a pair of the new Schwalbe Marathon tyres and inner tubes.
Yesterday I fitted them. Before doing this I watched the Brompton video on how to take off and then put back the rear wheel and how to change ones tyres several times. I laid out all of the tools required for the job neatly on the living room floor. Latex gloves were put on and I began.
To digress slightly when I was a child I used to love those Airfix models but would always have parts left over. I loved Meccano as well but again always have parts left over. I am not keen or have any talent at manual labour of even the most basic sort. I felt I needed to write this.
Nuts were undone. Hub gear cable successfully unscrewed. Derailer taken off. Everything laid out with military precision. Old tyres off. Old inner tubes out. New rim tape on. Tubes and tyres placed on to the wheels pretty quickly and back on my beloved Orange Brompton.
I pumped up the tyres to 100 psi and all looked wonderful. Even better I
All the bits were put back where they should have been and I had none left over. I felt proud. I walked a little taller as I checked the tyre action...
To my horror I discovered that my derailer no longer shifted the chain over. I watched the appropriate Brompton video to no avail. I couldn't get it to work despite my efforts!!
With a heavy heart and equally heavy tread I today took my beloved and slightly interfered with Orange Brompton to Specialized this afternoon for them to give it a full service and sort out the gears. Luckily it was that time of year to have it serviced anyway so all is not entirely maudlin.
I suspect until I go on some sort of maintenance course I will leave it to the professionals!